Bringing our history alive

Early history of the CPS

Early History of the Canadian Phytopathological Society

From 1918 to 1929, Canadian plant pathologists belonged to the Canadian Division of the American Phytopathological Society. However, travel to the US was expensive and sometimes difficult, which limited opportunities for Canadian pathologists to attend. In early 1929, a referendum by mail resulted in near unanimous approval for establishing the Canadian Phytopathology Society. The inaugural meeting was held in Ottawa; there were 99 Charter Regular Members including 3 women and 33 Student Members. The first CPS President was H. T. G├╝ssow, with W.P. Fraser as the first Vice-President, T.G. Major as the Secretary-Treasurer, and D. L. Bailey and J. C. Coulson serving as the Councillors.

Group photo of the Canadian Division of the American Phytopathological Society. Winnipeg, December, 1927.